Data Pipeline Engineer
San Francisco; Lancaster, Pennsylvania; or New York City
About The Role
As a data pipeline engineer, you will join Mapzen’s mobility team to work on the Open Traffic project. Open Traffic is an open-source project working to create world-wide traffic data for planning and routing applications. Open Traffic provides the platform and tools to share traffic statistics from connected vehicles and mobile services. Mapzen’s role in this project is to scale the service to support multiple traffic data providers with the goal of providing worldwide traffic information. Privacy and security of traffic provider’s data is paramount.
This role can either be on a contract or full-time basis.
You will work closely with software developers and architects to develop a robust and scalable data ingestion pipeline. You will also work with routing engineers to design and develop interfaces with Mapzen’s open-source routing solution (Valhalla) and with mapping and data engineers to develop methods to visualize traffic data.
While this role will focus on Open Traffic, there may be opportunities in the future to also contribute to the Valhalla routing engine and to the Transitland open transit data platform.
We are looking for a talented senior-level developer to work with a diverse team. Excellent communication skills are key to the success of our open-source project, so it’s critical that team members can express themselves in a way that is courteous, clear, and collaborative.
- at least 5 years experience with software development or research
- proficiency with Python and/or C++ 11
- experience with distributed processing for both batch and real-time data-pipeline operations (e.g., Hadoop, Spark, Storm, Flink, Kinesis, or bespoke approaches)
- experience with distributed data-stores (e.g., RedShift, Hadoop formats, S3, Postgres, SQL, or alternatives)
- experience running such services at scale using a collaborative “dev ops” approach (along with tooling such as containers, Chef, OpsWorks)
- passion for open-source technologies, open-data, and collaborative software development
Skills that would be a plus for this position include:
- experience with Amazon Web Services and their managed services
- experience with geographic data
- experience with exploratory data analysis and data visualization
Working at Mapzen
We are a team of passionate individuals who care deeply about technology and the power of Open. We come from many different fields and industries; each new team member adding to our company culture, rather than assimilating into it. Team members are given the flexibility to experiment and excel. We value things like work-life balance, respectful communication, and inclusiveness, and find ways to reflect these values in our work.
Based out of the Samsung Accelerator, Mapzen combines the benefits a nimble start-up and an established corporation. Our compensation, health plans, vacations, leave policies, and retirement benefits are all competitive.
We are committed to building an awesome, diverse team, and strongly encourage applicants of all races, colors, political party associations, religions (or lack thereof), national origins, sexual orientations, gender identities, sexes, ages, abilities, levels of education, and branches of military service.
How to apply
Send your résumé or any relevant links and a little bit about yourself to email@example.com. Please include “Data Pipeline Engineer” in the subject line.