Platform Engineer, Rails
San Francisco or New York
Mapzen is looking for a back-end engineer to join our product team and extend our core user-facing infrastructure. Mapzen is creating a complete geospatial technology stack on open data projects like OpenStreetMap and the open source code in our high-performance Search, Mobility, Data, and Map products. Help improve the connections between our various web services via our authentication, logging, and deployment systems. We need a skilled Ruby on Rails developer to help us continue providing a stable, no-nonsense service to developers of location-based apps and web mappers around the world. Your years of professional experience developing and deploying reliable systems has left you with a keen sense of where best to spend energy innovating and where to Choose Boring Technology.
At Mapzen we take a different approach to the core components of mapping — we do it open. Open source, open data, open access. We make modular tools for building better maps because we believe that healthy mapping ecosystems are ones that are diverse, sustainable, and accessible to all. Come join us to make our work in data, search, navigation, and design available to a growing developer network with tens of thousands of users.
- Support, extend, maintain, and refactor our core developer-facing authentication, logging, and deployment infrastructure
- Work with product team developers located in New York on-site or from our San Francisco office, reporting to VP of Product
- Collaborate with other engineering teams working on new features and services
- Help Mapzen grow to support new categories of users
Why Join Mapzen?
- Commitment to exclusively open tools and data for real change
- Work alongside and learn from top experts and leaders in digital mapping
- Everything you do will be public and open source:
- Healthy grownup working hours
- World-class benefits
- 8+ years experience development and operations on the web
- 3+ years experience in Ruby on Rails development and deployment
- Experience administering relational databases, ideally Postgres
- Experience with basic Linux system administration
- You like maps!
- Experience with agile, test-driven development and deployment
- Experience with Amazon Web Services including EC2, S3, and Opsworks
- Curiosity and a commitment to learning and teaching
- Contributions to open source projects
- Contributions to open source geospatial projects
If any of this sounds interesting to you, write to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Platform Engineer” in the subject line and three items:
- Something résumé-like, e.g. your website, LinkedIn, or an attachment.
- Other links you’d like us to see, such as a blog, Github, or a sample project.
- A short answer to just one of these:
- What was the last good book, article, or presentation you saw on design or development? What made it stand out for you?
- What’s a favorite open-source library? What do you like about it?
- What’s the tool you learned most recently but haven’t yet had a chance to use in production? What have you learned from it so far?
- What methods did you most recently mentor a colleague on? How did it go?
- What are three things you’d change about the tool you’ve done most of your recent work with?
Working at Mapzen
We are a team of passionate individuals who care deeply about technology and the power of Open. We come from many different fields and industries; each new team member adding to our company culture, rather than assimilating into it. Team members are given the flexibility to experiment and excel. We value things like work-life balance, respectful communication, and inclusiveness, and find ways to reflect these values in our work.
Based out of the Samsung Accelerator, Mapzen combines the benefits a nimble start-up and an established corporation. Our compensation, health plans, vacations, leave policies, and retirement benefits are all competitive.
We are committed to building an awesome, diverse team, and strongly encourage applicants of all races, colors, political party associations, religions (or lack thereof), national origins, sexual orientations, gender identities, sexes, ages, abilities, levels of education, and branches of military service.
How to apply
Send your résumé or any relevant links and a little bit about yourself to email@example.com. Please include “Platform Engineer, Rails” in the subject line.